Aims and Objectives:
- To propagate and defend the Catholic faith
- To serve as animator of lay Apostolate activities within the parish
- To maintain peace and orderliness among different lay associations and parishioners
- To assist the Parish Priest/Pastoral team with practical help, advice or suggestions on lay Apostolate matters and the general wellbeing of the Parish and Parishioners, including responsibilities that may be assigned by the Parish Priest from time to time.
- To plan, promote and serve as coordinating agency for studies and other forms of collaboration for Christian leadership in the parish.
- To promote the Apostolic laity of St Dominic’s in accordance with Canons 215, 300 and 312 if Vatican 11 Council Decree on the Apostolate of the lay people and the Dogmatic constitution of the Church – “Lumen Gentium”
- To maintain liaison with non-Catholic organisations on issues of relevance
- To maintain liaison with Catholic organisations of other Parishes
- To participate in Deanery, Archdiocese and National laity Apostolate and other relevant activities
- To assist lay Associations of the Parish to function properly and effectively
- To do any other thing whatsoever which the council may consider necessary, wise or expedient to do for the promotion of its aims and objectives
Note: Our Laity Week / Society Fair starts on Friday May 19 with a talk at Mass by Rev. Sr. Valentine Adeyemo, OLA. It will focus on the Centenary Celebration of the Fatima Apparition.
Day 2 (Saturday May 20): There will be Quiz Competition for all Society. Venue: Pastor’s Conference Room. Time: 1:00 pm.
Day 3 (Sunday May 21): Is the Grand finale of the Laity Week. There will Society Fair, Thanksgiving by 11:00am and Reception at the YCC Car Park.
Requirements: To be a council member, according to the new Archdiocesan guidelines, one must be a serving President or Secretary of a society
Exco members are:
- Lillian Ezeayom Chairman
- Austin Okafor Vice Chairman
- Evelyn Chikwendu Secretary
- Eugenia Obidiegwu Assistant Secretary
- Emmanuel Okafor Financial Secretary
- Ayo Evbuomwan Treasurer
- Deborah Ikalegbe Welfare Secretary I
- Ugochukwu Amagwulu Welfare Secretary II
- Baagbimo Soji-Oke Ex-Officio
Dues: N5,000 for Grade A, N4,000 Grade B and N3,000 for others
The Laity Council meets every first Sunday of the month, immediately after 8.30am Mass at the Pastor’s Conference Room.
Categorised in: Parish Laity Council
This post was written by Benjamin Eragbele