“Through Mary Our Mother We Succeed”
Catholic Women Organization (CWO) is an affiliation of the Lagos Archdiocesan Council of CWO. The organization was established in St. Dominic’s Parish in 1965. The society was started by Mrs. E. Bola Majekodunmi and a handful of other elderly women in the parish. Other members at the inception include Mrs. V. Otiko (Secretary) and Mrs. H. Perraira (Treasurer). The current membership is 400 women who are loyal and dedicated to the service of God.
CWO is the umbrella organization for all the women societies and women in some mixed societies. Some of these societies include St. Jude’s Women Society, Confraternity of Christian Mothers, Guild of Catholic Nurses, St. Anne’s Women Society, Progressive Women Association, St. Veronica’s Women Society and others to be mentioned.
Before 1994, the parish CWO was dominated by individuals rather than representatives of women societies. But since the re-organization of the CWO, it has been a galaxy of achievements. One of these is the annual celebration of Mothers’ Day.
To create a just society through special devotion to Mother Mary prayer and action
To win women, young and old to join in the service of God through education and evangelization.
Aims and Objectives
- To stimulate, assist and coordinate all activities of the women societies with the parish.
- To help unite the women of the parish to achieve spiritual growth through its organization; planned retreats and seminars.
- To establish relationship of the Catholic Women Organization in Lagos Archdiocese and to develop interest in the common problems of the CWO throughout Nigeria.
Membership is open to all women above 18 years whether married, widow or single. Members work together to achieve a common goal for its success and growth of the Catholic Church. The Spiritual Directors of CWO is always the Pastors of the Church. The current Spiritual Director is Rev. Fr. Felix Onemheghie, OP.
The membership of the CWO include:
- The Presidents (representatives of women societies)
- Five women representatives from each of the women societies in the parish
- Three women representatives from each of the mixed societies
- The Pastor is the spiritual Director, while a Rev. Sr. can be the adviser of the CWO.
Meeting Day: Every last Sunday of the month after 8:30am Mass.
Venue: Pastor’s Conference Room.
General Meeting: Bi-monthly
Mid-Week Prayer Meeting: Tuesdays from 5:00 – 6:00pm at the Grotto of our Lady.
ELECTED EXECUTIVE MEMBERS
|President||– Mrs. Becky Ezeumeh|
|First Vice President||– Mrs. Victoria Ossai|
|Second Vice President||– Mrs. Maria Ehime|
|General Secretary||– Mrs. Ikalegbe Deborah|
|Assistant General Secretary||– Mrs. Olimmah Rita|
|Financial Secretary||– Mrs. Benedict Egbuna|
|Assistant Financial Secretary||– Mrs. Mbamah Ego|
|Treasurer||– Mrs. Ezeruome Onyinyechi|
|Social Welfare||– Mrs. Obodoechie Rosemary|
|Welfare||– Mrs. Uwak Elizabeth|
|P.R.O.||– Mrs. Chiona Ebere|
|Provost||– Mrs. Nakirere Patricia|
|Exco Office||– Chief (Mrs.) E. U. Umeche|
|– Major Nwaya G. N. (Rtd)|
Categorised in: CWO
This post was written by Intro